Wednesday, 20 November 2013
Getting There... (Early HT Room Setup)
Back from my overseas business trip late last week. It's going to be really busy since I'll be moving to the new house in 1 week. Massive amounts to pack up!
Nonetheless, I didn't want the movers to be involved with the audio system so over the weekend I moved all the components and put together the stereo setup in the home theater room to just have a little "taste". Here she is... (Unfortunately the image is a bit grainy. Resorted to the old Nikon D70 as my D800 developed some autofocus issues and needed repairs.)
Hmmm. Looks like I need to straightening the power/cable/ethernet outlet at the back there...
Room size is decent: 20' x 15' x 8'. The TV is a 55" LG 55LW5600 mounted on a strong wall mount - I might go for a 70" in the future. Components:
- SONY SCD-CE775 SACD/CDP I bought back in 2001
- Emotiva XSP-1 pre-amp
- 2x Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks connected to XSP-1 with Monoprice XLRs - 35W Class-A bias, max 250W Class A/B
- Paradigm Signature S8 v3 fronts
- Paradigm Signature SUB 1 subwoofer crossed over at 50Hz
- Cables: 4' 12G OFC Monoprice zip cord speaker cables, Radio Shack 3' RCA from CDP to preamp, stock power cables
I still don't have the sofa sectional in the room and room treatments, nor have I set up the SUB 1's programmable subwoofer room correction yet with PBK-1. Despite the bare room reflections, it sounds pretty decent still... Played my old Kind Of Blue SACD, Diana Krall's When I Look In Your Eyes, and Beck's Sea Change tonight. Really liking the subwoofer's punch on the Beck SACD. I'm an advocate for a good subwoofer... Good frequency response down to 20Hz is essential for hi-fidelity IMO.
Chat later... More boxes to pack tonight :-(.